The weather is warming, flowers are blooming, and residents of Lake Nantahala are beginning to explore again. Around our Reflection real estate lay copious hiking trails, iridescent waterfalls, and lush mountain views. And what better way to enjoy the beauty of nature than by packing a picnic and enjoying the spring air? Whether you’re celebrating Mother’s Day, springtime, or Memorial Day, here are 5 steps to throwing the perfect Lake Nantahala picnic.
- Scout it out. While some of our local adventurers may prefer to strap on their hiking boots and see where the trails take them, it’s better to plan ahead when you’ve packed a full picnic. Choose the perfect spot on one our Reflection community’s nature trails, park areas, or covered gazebos.
- Find the right bag. While a picnic basket may look cute and idyllic, the whicker handles are awkward and tiresome to carry. If you’re hiking to your destination, pack your lunch in a backpack or fabric cooler.
- Pack the essentials. Your perfect picnic won’t last long if you forget your blanket, silverware, paper plates and plastic cutlery, sunscreen and bug spray, trash bags, and hand sanitizer. You may also want to pack books and outdoor games in your picnic basket, especially if you’re bringing kids along.
- Prepare the food. Portable, self-contained foods like pre-cut fruit, sandwiches, and bottled drinks make throwing a picnic a breeze. Pack everything in sealable containers for convenience and fresher food. If you’re throwing a Mother’s Day picnic, make sure your pack the guest of honor her favorite snack.
- Bring your camera. Whether you have a high class SLR or you prefer the camera app on your smartphone, you’ll want to capture the memories of your lakeside mountain picnic.